When you're investigating the paranormal, sometimes you stumble upon an intriguing story that offers no real explanation as to why or how the events occur.  Virginia Intermont College has been around for almost 120 years and is home to 555 students according to the school's official website.  The college is relatively small but the sometimes even the smallest of places can have a haunting past.

The paranormal claims that surrounds this college is centered around one room in the main building on campus.  I've found a post on a site linked at the bottom on this article and I'll let this person do the story-telling.
I am a freshman at Virginia Intermont College. I know the exact room which you are talking about, and I would like to explain the story a little more. Back in the 1800's the school was all girls. One girl in particular was having an affair with one of her professors. She got pregnant, but the professor refused to leave his wife for her. She hung herself, and while doing so knocked over the kerosene lamp she had been using, and started a fire. The rest of the building has been repaired, but any time her room is worked on, it reverts back to the same charred state it was in. It is noticeable when you see it -- it looks like the fire just happened, even though it was over 100 years ago.
The story is tragic but the phenomenon that is said to occur here is interesting.  If you look at it from a scientific perspective, there isn't a finite reason for why a wall would continuously look charred even 100 years later.  Is it paranormal, possibly but this is definitely a location that could use an investigation by a skilled paranormal group. 

I did some more digging and found a good post on another blogspot site explaining this haunting even more.  According to this post, the girls name is "Vera." However, the interesting thing included in this post is that the ghost isn't just linked to the one room in the Main Hall, instead people have reported feeling cold spots, the feeling of being watched, and cold breezes all across campus.
A less obvious “haunting” happened to Travis Williamson his first year at VI. He stated, “I was sitting [in my room, 211] eating a sandwich and I had some soda in a Gatorade bottle that was really flat, no carbonation at all. The lid was screwed on just a little, and all of a sudden the lid pops off and the bottle is rocking back and forth.”
If you really dig deep enough, almost every college in this state has some sort of "ghost" story.  What separates VIC's ghost apart from the rest is the widespread reports of phenomenon.  You have visual, auditory, and object manipulation.  On a scale of 1 to 10, VIC is probably close to the 10 side of the scale when it comes to activity.  If you ever get a chance to visit this college, don't pass it up. 

Strange USA Blog Post: StrangeUSA
Schools Official Website: http://www.vic.edu/
Vera Blog Post: http://mentalhealthlife.blogspot.com
School Magazine: Check Page 16

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi-

I actually went to VI back in 2001-2004. I do know of the room spoken of. However, 'Vera' as the ghost is thought to be, last I heard was alive and well. She thought it was comical a story was made out to be her.

I don't doubt that the school is haunted. One night while my roommate and I were sleeping in a dorm (2nd floor main), I woke up to a bit of light shining in my eye. Our door was cracked. We never really locked our dorm room door, so I assumed the air fluctuation between someone else opening/closing their door may have popped ours opened. To ensure it wouldn't happen again, I got up, closed the door and locked it. I went back to sleep. A little while later, both my roommate and I were awoken, not knowing why and... our door was cracked again! We both asked each other if either of us left it opened... neither of us had been out of our beds. I explained to her that it happened earlier and how I thought it was just the wind in the hallway.

This was definitely one of the more creepier moments I have had on VI's campus!

XoLizardoX08 said...

Thanks for your comment. Sadly, my resources only go as far as looking through Google and other online websites so I just post what I find. Thanks for clearing up the name situation though.

It definitely sounds like an interesting (although very expensive) college.

Unknown said...

Hi there...

I am sorry to say that Virginia Intermont College (VIC) closed it's doors a couple of years ago.

But, I remember Vera when I was at VIC in 1981-1983. One of my friends, Suzette, actually lived in the room that was supposed to have been Vera's. It is quite good sized and tucked away just off of the main hall, near the breezeway headed to East Hall. Lots of us wanted it but there was a waiting list for it...ghost and all! There were always cold spots in the room and my friend said things moved around all the time. The room actually had a sink in it and the faucet would turn itself on, I saw that more than once. They would talk to Vera and things would calm down for awhile.

My mom also went to VIC in the 1940's and I asked her about the ghost when I was there and she said she remembered it but didn't have any experiences with her.

Unknown said...

My older sister went to VI in 1996, and I stayed with her and her roommate during the parents weekend. The second night I was there, we were all in the room, them in their beds, and me on the floor. Out of nowhere, the stereo turned on and the volume shot up to as loud as it could go. I jumped up and tried to turn it down, but the knob did nothing, and so I quickly pulled the plug out of the wall. We all freaked and tried to figure out who had sat on the remote but we couldn't find it. My sister ended up pulling it out of an empty drawer in a table that was between their beds. Later, after we turned off the lights but were not asleep yet, we all watched as the stereo lit up and then turned off three times in a row. I hadnot plugged it back

Lisa said...

Wow! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought this "off limits" room, was just in my imagination! I was at VIC 1977-78, when I was exploring the hallways of my dorm, and came across this room that usually was locked. On this day, it was open! Before I went in, one of the girls passing by in the hallway, told me it was a storage room full of mattresses, and it was never left unlocked. I went in. I remember it looked like someone had lived there; the furniture out of place and abandoned, but it did not look like a storage room. I remember, there was a small, shallow, doorless, dark alcove that just felt like I shouldn't explore there. As I moved around the abandoned bedframe & mattress toward the furniture, I began to feel 'creepy', and the room started to feel stuffy.
Yes, I know there was something happening there, but unfortunately, I was interrupted by the other girls from the dorm calling me to dinner.
I never, ever again, found the door unlocked, although I tried many times to shake it loose.

Unknown said...

Which room is said to be Vera's? When entering the third floor hall in Main there is a stretch of hall, followed by a hall with a large metal fire door on past this hall os the breezeway. Can anyone pin point the exact room? There is a door that is locked (the only locked door in that hall, but that is before the fire door hallway.

Unknown said...

Hello. Which room was Vera's? When looking down the breezeway (towards East Hall) did the room sit on the left or the right of the hall?

Post a Comment